Solid Minerals Machinery and Equipment Development Institute SOMMEDI, Nasarawa
LIST OF MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT IN THE INSTITUTE
- CNC lathe machine
- Conventional lathe machine
- Conventional milling machine
- Welding machine
- Metal sheet bending machine
- Power hack saw
- Guillotine machine
- Grinding machine
- Drilling machine
Mineral processing workshop
- Raymond mill
- Ball grinding mill
- Rod grinding mill
- Double roller
- Fine crusher
- Hammer crushers
- Sand washing machine
- Jaw crusher
- Cone crusher
- Impact crusher
- Rotary beads mills
- Gemstone faceting machine
- Vibrator beads mill
- Ultrasonic caving and drilling machine
- Polishing machine
- Drilling machine
- Gemstone microscope
- Polaris cope
- Refract meter
- Specific gravity test kit
- Electronic scale
- Light source
- Diamond tester, Chelsea filter and loop
Wood processing /carpentry work shop
- Circular cutting machine
- Multipurpose wood cutting machine
- Mortise and tenor cutting machine
- Automatic saw milling machine
- Wood dust extractor
- Band saw machine
Solid Minerals Machinery and Equipment Development Institute SOMMEDI, Nasarawa, is the youngest of the Ten Institutes established by the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructures, NASENI. The Institute was set up through collaboration between NASENI and Nasarawa State Government.
The establishment of the Institute was articulated through an MoU on collaboration between NASENI and Nasarawa State Government signed on 23rd day of March 2012.The MoU is for the establishment of SOMMEDI and the provision of Technical and Scientific infrastructures, as well as training and general skills development of SME’s in the State.
Development of infrastructures began in early 2013 and consequently on the 25th day of May 2019 the Honorable Minister, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, Dr Ogbonnaya Onu and the Executive Governor of Nasarawa State His Excellency Alhaji Ahmed Tanko Al – Makura together with the newly elected Executive Governor of Nasarawa State His Excellency Engineer Abdullahi ASule commissioned the Institute, at Nasarawa, Nasarawa State.
Solid Minerals Machinery and Equipment Development Institute, SOMMEDI, Nasarawa, is a mono Mandate institute with the sole mandate for the design, development, fabrication and mass Production of Solid Minerals Mining and Processing Machinery and Equipment, to provide the enabling environment for sustainable industrialization of the Nigeria’s Mining and Mineral sector and the transfer of same to manufacturers, Mining Operators and Mineral Processors as well as SMEs in the sector.
3.0. VISION AND MISSION
The goal of the Institute is to improve and revolutionize the Mining operations in Nigeria by providing Machineries and Equipment through Research and Developments base on needs and applications for optimal Productivity, Efficiency, Skills development, and Economic growth.
It is also to provide intervention programs towards achieving the commercialization of Technologies, Technical innovations, and Inventions, using Technology acquisition as a tool to enhance the attainment of technological, industrial, social and economic competitiveness of the Nation and improve the quality of life of the citizenry.
4.0. GOALS AND STRATEGIES
The institute when fully established hope to achieve the following:
- Machinery and Equipment design, Development and Production
- Design and production of Machines replacement parts locally
- On hand Training on Machines operations, maintenance/repairs.
- On hand skill acquisitions in mining and mineral processing techniques.
It is also intended to achieve the following:
- Chemical analysis of Minerals (ASS, XRF, etc.)
- Mineralogical Analysis of Minerals (XRD) etc.
- Exploration and Mining Geology
- Mine Planning, Design, and optimization
- Mineral Processing test/design and plant design
5.0. GAINS OF THE SERVICES FROM THE INSTITUTE’S
All the above strategies are geared to achieving the following gains in the Solid Minerals sector of Nigeria.
- Value addition and creation of wealth for National growth
- Import substitution (saving of foreign reserve)
- Technology acquisition and transfer
- Job creation
- Skill acquisition/ training
- Social integration and development
- Development of infrastructures (electricity, Roads etc.)