Engineering Materials Development Institute (EMDI), Akure
A major milestone in Science and Engineering sector of the nation’s economy was recorded with the establishment of National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI) in 1992. NASENI was designed with the mandate to conduct developmental work in the areas of manufacturing and production through coordinating the proliferation of technologies developed within and outside its six developmental centers. Engineering Materials Development Institute (EMDI), Akure is one of the then six Science and Engineering Development Complexes set up as centers under NASENI. Engineering Materials Development Institute (EMDI), Akure was established on 1st August, 1995 as the first indigenous government materials research and development Institute. Operations commenced at its temporary site along Ondo Road in May 1996.
The mandate of Engineering Materials Development Institute (EMDI) can be summarized thus:
To work in the area of engineering materials infrastructure for the production of various types of sections and sizes of machines and equipment. The technology produced is thereafter transferred to private sector organizations, industries and relevant government agencies. EMDI also offers consultancy, technical and training services to organizations.
The 5-point agenda of the mandate are:
- To undertake research and development works into processes and systems for the conversion of raw and semi-processed materials of various types, sections, and sizes for application in machinery and equipment production.
- To transfer engineering materials production technologies to the private sector, industries and government agencies and offer consultancy and extension services to such and other organizations.
- To establish and operate a physical and metallurgical laboratory for the testing of engineering materials of all types.
- To collaborate with cognate government ministries and agencies in the design of its research and development programs and projects.
- To accept, on terms specified by its trainees for practical work attachment in its work.
To transform scientific engineering materials and technological know-how and innovations into industrial products through strategic management of scarce financial resources: aggressive mobilization for and generation of financial resources; effective maintenance and sustenance of existing facilities; and intensified collaborations with relevant bodies and agencies within a highly professional and friendly work environment.
EMDI offers wide range services in the field of engineering and capacity building. Our services include:
- Materials Testing and Characterisation
- Microstructural Analysis
- X-Ray Diffractometry
- X-Ray Flourescopy (Chemical Analysis)
- Tensile /Compression Testing
- Optical and Electrical Characterization
- I-V Characterisation
- Particle Size Analysis
- Microhardness Testing
- Foundry Services
- Characterisation of different grades of cast iron, steel and its alloys
- Production of simple and intricate castings (ferrous and non-ferrous)
- Heat treatment operations
- Applied research in the area of Ductile Iron, Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI) , monolithic refractory lining for furnaces and refractory bricks.
- Pattern Making
- Manufacturing/Production Services
- Machine/Equipment Maintenance
- Plant Overhaul
- Design of Machine/Equipment
- Manufacture of Machine/Equipment
- Design and Manufacture of Machine/Equipment
- Production or Manufacture of Spares and Components.
- Capacity Building
- In the area of foundry education technology
- In the area of Advanced Manufacturing Technology
- Consultancy Services
- Engineering Audit / Technical Audit of plants
- Services for conferences, workshops and seminars
- 250 Seating Capacity Conference Hall (Fully Air Conditioned)
- Two Air Conditioned 35 Seating Capacity Seminar Rooms
- Stand-by Generator
- Standard/Modern Catering Services
- Computer Systems, Multimedia projectors, overhead projectors and projector screens.